HOw to you eat your oats?

iceman0625

I think eating them with water, warmed in the microwave is just nasty. I use to eat them that way but I have started mixing them with water or milk in the blender. What else is there? The water and oats in the blender taste ok, I thought the milk would be better but its kinda gross

I eat my foods pretty plain. I try to keep things simple. Here's how i've ate my oats in the past, hasn't really ever changed.

Put them in a bowl, add water, nuke it.

When it's done, i add a little bit of milk and splenda to taste. Mix it up. That's about it. Ground cinnamon rarely, but it does spice it up alot. If i had a little more time to put into it, and needed the extra calories, sliced up apple, and cinnamon would be delicious.

I eat mine with a spoon, straws tend to collapse
blush.gif

I like to add protein mix and milk (I tried this with cream of wheat yesterday and it ended up like Elmer's Paste, nasty
wow.gif
), someone wrote a while back on ways to spice up oatmeal, don't remember who though
sad.gif

I use a hand blender to blend them in water. I mix in almond butter, honey, chopped banana, ginger, and whey protein. Tastes quite delicious - the banana is key for flavour.

Takes forever to blend it though, and i frequently have to reblend while i'm drinking it.

I mix 3/4 of a cup of oats with half a litre of water.

I usually eat oat bran- 1/3c bran in 1c skim milk and a dash of salt- microwave for 1.5 minutes, mix in a tablespoon each of walnut pieces and dried fruit (cranberries are my favorite, but raisins or prunes are good too). If you don't like gloppy oatmeal, you might like oat bran instead.

Also, you might try steel cut oats, like McCann's. Makes a wonderful porridge (although it takes a while to prepare, but this can be lessened by soaking the oats overnight).

Anyway, I think any combination of nuts, fruit (dried or fresh), and/or spices (nutmeg or cinnamon, in particular) go a long way in making oats palatable. Of course, you could also make oatmeal bars or muffins, but these can be pretty calorie-dense, depending on the recipe.

I usually eat them in the most convenient way possible: pour some in a bowl, add water to make swallowing easier, and chew. I often add a splash of diet soda to hide the bland, oatsy flavor, but I rarely bother to nuke it. When I DO bother, I make sure it tastes good enough to be worth my while by adding cinnamon, apple slices and sometimes sugarfree yoghurt.

I eat mine cooked in water and add 1 tbsp flax oil, a pinch of brown sugar and about 3/4 cup of blueberries.

Just add some boiling water . . . and some raisins

(I add olive oil to mine too, but some think that's gross)

Back