xfactor and HST

"ZYFLO is indicated for the prevention and chronic treatment of asthma in adults and children 12 years of age and older. ZYFLO, which contains the active ingredient zileuton, blocks the formation of leukotrienes that may contribute to asthma symptoms. Zileuton is an orally active inhibitor of 5-lipoxygenase, the enzyme that catalyzes the formation of leukotrienes from arachidonic acid."

The above is from some literature on asthma medication. If X-Factor is essentially arachidonic acid I'm not sure I can see the benefit.

I have commented on this forum before about AA supplementation.
It will work best if you remove all n-3s from your diet as they only interfere with the resulting inflammatory state. It will probably increase your risk of heart disease and some of the other inflamatory diseases as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Oct. 10 2005,10:37)]I have commented on this forum before about AA supplementation.  
It will work best if you remove all n-3s from your diet as they only interfere with the resulting inflammatory state.  It will probably increase your risk of heart disease and some of the other inflamatory diseases as well.
i wonder how it would work with HST, because it does increase DOMS

but as i have said, the results reported from users have been awesome

anecdotal reports are about as reliable as train timetables, and a lot of them initially reported joint pain and infections.

DOMs is not required. What AA does do is increase inflammation, one of the potential causes of DOMS is inflammation... doesnt mean muscle growth

If you want that without paying for the supplement. Drop every single potential source of n-3 fatty acids from your diet. significantly raise the amount of n-6 fatty acids in your diet (try to get a high n-6 oil and use it as your sole fat source) and drop every single anti oxidant possible from your diet.

If need be just eat sugar so you deplete your antioxidant stores. Huge calories as well.

Perform high volume exercise daily, and eat inadequate levels of protein.

However understand that potentially every single non-communicable disease has an inflammatory process involved in it. Want heart disease, increase inflammation. Want Diabetes, increase inflammation. Want reduced glucose tolerance, increase inflammation. Want joint problems, increase inflammation

from an old post

1) The involvement of additional AA in the stimulation of protein synthesis (Via Pg) will be small. (dose response)

2) you better stop taking your fish oils, as they will directly compete (and the enzymes like them better) with AA for conversion into the Pg

3) dont take any COX inhibiters

4) it would be cheaper to get a diet low in fish/n-3 fats and take in large amounts of n-6 fats. 42$ for 90 gelcaps (200mg). To get the 1.7g he keeps talking about would require an intake of 8.5 (say 8). Thats about 3.74 a day, for a supplement that is unproven. Why not just take steroids?

5) while Bill L has stated in his article that relatively short term supplementation (1.7g / 50days) showed no effect in cholesterol levels (well duh, AA is an n-6 fatty acid and it will lower LDL quite comfortably), this isnt the risk concern of a diet rich in n-6 fats. AA converts into pro-thrombotic prostaglandins, which unfortuantely create higher risk for thrombosis there fore heart disease (this is predominantly why n-3 fats lower heart disease risk, lowering thrombogenic risk). AA also converts into the thromboxane (TXA2) and the leukotriene (LTB4), both of which stimulate the release of TNF-alpha and IL-1beta, pro-inflammatory cytokines that have multiple direct effects into heart diease, or more indirectly thri the stimulation of IL-6 production in the liver/endothelial cells/adipose. IL6 can lead to multiple effects, that wont show up from short term supplementation, but more along the lines of
Insulin resistance, hypertension, dyslipidaemia, edothelial disfunction, and via Il6 stimulated C reactive protein, monocyte recruitment, increasing ICAM/VCAM, increases uptake of LDL by macrophages, activates complement, and colocalise the membrane attack complex. All of which leads us to the final result of Atherosclerosis.
(basically a quick rundown of the 'inflammatory' theory of heart diease.)

6) AA is NOT essential, as it can be created in the body, linloeic acid is the essential fat related to AA

7) No research showing increase AA intake will increase muscle mass

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Oct. 11 2005,4:21)]7) No research showing increase AA intake will increase muscle mass
That whole post i thought you were talking about AAS until number 7. Cuz i KNOW that's not true.

THE MECHANISM OF A VICIOUS CYCLE
What follows the damage to the cell plasma membrane is a kind of domino effect that, in the end, causes a vicious cycle of increased inflammation. Here’s how it goes:
• The cell plasma membrane is made up of a double layer of fats called a “lipid bi-layer,” and this fragile film is easily and rapidly oxidized by the free radicals. This leads to the breakdown of the membrane that produces a substance known as “arachidonic acid.”
• Arachidonic acid is further oxidized by enzyme systems to produce very active chemical products with pro-inflammatory activity such as “prostaglandins.” Arachidonic acid can also leak into the interior of the cell and get into the mitochondria, the tiny furnace used for energy production.
• Arachidonic acid then disrupts energy production of the cell, which is critically needed for cellular repair.
• The fats in the cell plasma membrane can also become oxidized and mimic chemical messengers in the body, such as platelet-activating factor (PAF), which also triggers a series of inflammatory events on a cellular level.
• All of these events, cumulatively known as “oxidative stress,” lead to increased production of free radicals inside the cell, with the activation of tiny messengers called transcription factors such as AP-1 and nuclear factor kappa B, or NfkB for short. When NfkB detects oxidative stress, it translocates to the nucleus of the cell, which contains the DNA (which in turn contains the master instructions of the cell). NfkB attaches to a portion of the DNA and instructs the cell to make inflammatory chemicals such as interleukins 1 and 6 and tumor necrosis factor, types of cytokines (intercellular chemical messenger proteins released by white blood cells as well as other cells) that create further inflammation and damage.
• When NfkB is activated in skin cells along with another transcription factor called AP-1, it can lead to wrinkles in the skin.
• When NfkB is activated in the brain, it can lead to Alzheimer’s disease, and activated in other organs it can lead to cancer.
• When NfkB is activated in the pancreas, it can lead to the destruction of the B-cells of the pancreas, which are the sole source of insulin, resulting in diabetes.
• NfkB blocks the ability to utilize insulin effectively, which leads to the storage of body fat, causing us to gain weight and have great difficulty shedding the pounds.

Yes. X-Factor may have success stories, but its costs may far outweigh the benefits. According to the commonly available information, -current- inflammatory diseases are contraindicated with AA. But only three days into X-Factor did I notice a temporary recurrance of epididymitis that I hadn't had in over two years (read: my nads ACHED). The massive joint pain was tolerable in comparison to THAT.

So not only could you worsen a current inflammation, but dormant/past inflammations could likely resurface on X-Factor.

I would just stick with HST, creatine (ethyl ester), and good dieting.

Back